Monday, September 20, 2010

Where Did the Summer Go?

I can’t believe that fall is here already! It’s my favorite season, but I do have to admit, summer went by way too fast.

In June we took a road trip some close friends Bill and Alicia Hulsey and their kids and Tim and Ruth Weldy and their girls to visit the Long family in Waxahachie, TX. We piled into a Suburban and an Expedition and we were on our way. The adults were out numbered: 7 children to 6 adults. (For some reason, the couple that didn’t have kids with them were the ones running behind…hmmm, who could that have been?) We had a blast and the trip to Texas went a lot faster than I thought it would. (I am not good at traveling in a car and get so antsy).

Heather’s mom graciously handed over the keys to her house, so we all could stay together for the week. We enjoyed shopping, eating, swimming, and hanging out together. Oh, I forgot to mention that they guys went hunting for the wildlife that roams in Texas and brought all the women home dinner. Yes, the mighty hunters went squirrel hunting.

We can’t believe that one week with good friends could be so fun and relaxing and go by way too fast.

Jon and I were looking at pictures/videos from our time in Texas the other night and had a good time laughing. Then after that we started to miss everyone greatly and know that things will be changing soon.

Jon and Heather along with Tim and Ruth have felt called to be missionaries over in Bangladesh. Jon and Heather are hoping to begin serving in November of this year and Tim and Ruth hope to begin serving sometime in 2011. With the change of our friends leaving the country, we are busy getting our house ready. Jon and Heather’s youngest two children (Addy and Jack) made the decision to come and live with Jon and I. (Their parents were not present when this decision was made but their grandpa Okayed it). We are so happy with the new addition to our family. This deal was made official with a handshake…so we feel that it’s a binding contract. Jon and Heather, we will take good care of your children. ☺

Even though we are sad that our friends are leaving, we rejoice with them for their willingness to go and serve and teach people about the amazing God we serve. To follow the Longs journey go to www.thelongfamily.org.

This summer has taught me a lot about life and God. There have been some good things that took place, but a lot of stress and sadness.

In June, one of my good friends mother passed away. Then in August, another one of my good friends father passed away. Both were wonderful examples of fighting the good fight and living sold out lives for Christ. My heart is filled with sadness for my friends and their families. I have never asked the question “why” with loosing Joshua. I know the reason why…but I still struggle with asking that very same question for my friends and their loss, even though the answer is the same.

I was listening to Nancy Leigh DeMoss this summer. She had a woman by the name of Rachel Barkley speaking. She is a young mother of two and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. What she said was so amazing and what I needed to hear at that moment. One of the things that she said about dealing with her cancer was this: “I don't ask why because I know the answer, and here it is. We live in a sinful world. Bad things happen, but it was not supposed to be this way, and it will not always be this way. God has a plan. He has made a way for sinful people, you and me, to be with Him in a perfect world. The way is Jesus!”

I love this and it is so true. I just wanted to scream thank you, thank you, thank you when I heard this. Life, but especially death makes you realize that the only guarantee in life is Christ. It’s a very sobering and humbling place to be, but I am so glad to be at this place.

Another struggle that we faced this summer was the joy of finding out that I was pregnant in July. We were so excited, but I didn’t expect the next feelings that I had…guilt. I felt guilty for being pregnant again and happy that we were having another baby. I felt like hadn’t mourned Joshua’s death long enough. We were trying to have another baby not to replace Joshua or to replace the void that is in our heart, we just want to have children.

We shared our news with our family and a few close friends. We knew that we would need prayer with this new journey. The next part was again heartbreaking…we lost this baby too. It was so hard because I felt so good about this pregnancy and didn’t have the fear of losing this baby. It was so painful to call up our family and tell them the sad news. As our hearts were breaking, we were again breaking our loved ones hearts.

This little baby that was with us for only a couple of weeks brought a renewed Hope to our lives. We now knew that it wouldn’t take us over a year to conceive again and the hope to have little ones in our home one day became even more real because of the promises God gives us.

This summer has been a summer of learning more about God, how good He is and how He will always provide.

Thank you all for your continued prayers. We love you all.

Kristin

To read Rachel Barkly’s amazing story go to:

Part 1: http://www.reviveourhearts.com/radio/roh/today.php?pid=10243

Part 2: http://www.reviveourhearts.com/radio/roh/today.php?pid=10245

No comments:

Post a Comment